Only by the form, the pattern,
Can words or music reach
The stillness, as a Chinese jar still
Moves perpetually in its stillness.
T. S. Eliot
Four Quartets
Briunt Norton

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

W. H. Auden reads 'The Shield of Achilles' (1953)

.



I do not have a favorite color but since I was in about twenty I have thought of Auden as my favorite poet. As I was putting together this post I realized that I have a natural affinity and affection for Auden because he closely resembles my maternal grandfather.
When I was in my early twenties I saw Auden appear as a guest on the Dick Cavett Show. I do not remember anything he said except one exchange near the end of his spot. Cavett said, "So, is there anything you would like to say while you're on?" In reply, Auden said that he wanted to complain about the NYT crossword puzzle clues. He felt that the clues were sometimes misleading and unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment